This module contains background material for the course.
Here is the introductory lecture:
Additionally, we created a set of lectures on fundamentals to help you approach this course! These will also be referred to in the different modules, but you might want to look through them now:
- Fundamentals: Computer Architecture (slides here)
- Fundamentals: Assembly (slides here)
- Fundamentals: Binary Files (slides here)
- Fundamentals: Linux Process Loading (slides here)
- Fundamentals: Linux Process Execution (slides here)
There are no practice problems for this module!
- An awesome intro series that covers some of the fundamentals from LiveOverflow.
- Phineas Fisher’s writeup of the hacking team disclosure (discussed in the What is Computer Systems Security video). Originally posted on pastebin by Phineas Fisher, but since removed.
- A comprehensive assembly tutorial for several architectures (amd64 is the relevant one here).